Show MoreIf everyone on Earth threw garbage and litter indiscriminately wherever they went, the world as we know it would soon be in ruins.
Litter in our surroundings is an important environmental issue, which many people overlook. While a majority of people do know that littering is a bad thing, many continue to carelessly scatter their trash around nonetheless.
There are a host of problems that stem from littering, and the environment has been suffering as a result of some people's inability to control this habit. Money is also wasted because of it. The government has to employ people to pick up trash, and that means funding from tax revenue.
Littering can be hazardous to one's health as well. Trash in an area attracts vermin and…show more content…
There are misconceptions about what constitutes litter. Some people think that if an item is organic (and will "turn into dirt") it's alright to throw it anywhere. Banana peels, apple cores, and the like, are just some things that come to mind on this one. But in reality, throwing garbage around, organic or otherwise, is littering. And the environment is adversely affected by it.
Why do people litter? Quite frankly, the main reason is simple laziness.
Our environment can be made much more attractive if people simply use garbage cans properly.
If you have garbage to dispose of, and there's isn't a garbage can nearby, then wrap your trash up (in a napkin, plastic, paper bag, etc) and place it in your pocket or carry it with you until you reach a garbage can. Also, make sure that the trash actually goes into the garbage can, and does not fall to the side.
It's all a simple matter of proper waste disposal, which is vital for our environments and for our ecosystems.
The truth is, we all know about the problem. Now its time to act on it, if you haven't been. But if you already do have proper and responsible waste disposal habits, remember that you can make a difference by encouraging others to follow your example.
When we dispose of our garbage properly, instead of polluting our environment, it does more than just help our locale to look good - we all feel better about it as well.
Ideas for an opinion essay
Littering in cities is an increasing problem which needs to be dealt with. Some people think that steeper fines is the best way to deal with the problem.
To what extent do you agree?
When you analyse a statement for an opinion essay, it is useful to ask yourself different questions regarding the topic. Think about the questions below and then decide your answer.
Questions for Analysis
- What is littering? AnswerDropping waste on the ground or in the streets rather than disposing of it correctly by putting it in the bin.
- Why do people litter?AnswerSome litter because they don’t care about the effects and some do it just for convenience.
- It is already an offence to throw litter in the streets so why do people continue to do it?AnswerMost people know it is wrong but they do it because they know they will not be caught.
- Would having a bigger fine stop them?AnswerIt is possible that a heavy fine might deter them but only if it is likely they will be caught and the fine imposed.
- Is having a bigger fine the best way to stop littering? AnswerIt’s one way to stop people but not everyone agrees that it is the best way.
- Are there other ways to stop littering? AnswerYes, one way is to put more bins in the streets so that people will use them rather than throw their litter on the floor. Educating children from a young age to dispose of their litter correctly is another way. Some people think that having more police on the streets would be a good deterrent because people will be less likely to attempt to litter the streets.
Now use your ideas and form them into an essay format. That means you should have two or three main ideas which are divided into two or three body paragraphs. After you have your essay ideas planned, check the model body paragraphs below. Can you write the introduction and conclusion for the model essay below?Model Body Paragraphs
Body Paragraph A: Having bigger fines is certainly one way to tackle the issue of littering. Increasing the fines will make people take littering more seriously. At present, many people litter the streets because they do not consider this to be a serious offence and for the convenience but by imposing a considerable penalty, people will think twice before they litter.
Body Paragraph B: However, the best way to deal with the problem of littering would be a long-term solution involving educating the younger generation. Littering is common due to the fact that many people are not fully aware of the environmental and health impacts that it has. By raising awareness and building a habit of disposing of waste correctly, this problem can be eradicated in coming generations.
Body Paragraph C: Finally, another possible solution would be to have more litter bins available to the public. The reason being that the majority of people littering the streets do so because there are no bins available to put their waste in and they do not wish to carry their rubbish with them until they find a bin. By having more bins available, it would not only be more convenient for people to dispose of their waste properly but it would also act as a reminder for them to do so.
Collection of Essay Ideas